Thursday, January 17, 2013

Craft Room Organization: Mini Memo Board

I'm addicted to sticky notes. I write all of my to-dos on a note daily and periodically cross them off as they're completed throughout the day. The next day, I start a new one by rewriting the undone items from the day before and adding anything that pops up. Unfortunately, I've lost those uber important stickies more times than I care to remember. My office has become a black hole of clutter. A mini cork board covered in glitter was the perfect solution to keep my daily post-it at the forefront of my mind and on top of the mess, literally. 


I made mine out of six-inch square cork tiles which were left over from the seating chart I made for our wedding in 2011. Yep, I had those scraps sitting around for over a year and a half... that's probably why my craft room is such a disaster area -- because I hoard.


Step 1: Cover whatever areas on your cork board that you want to remain bare. I wanted a thin border so I taped around the edges and put a 4in square of painters tape in the center. On the areas you want to show, feel free to cut away. I wrote the words "DO IT" in block letters and cut them out with an xacto blade.


Step 2: Wherever you want the glitter, smear a thick layer of tacky glue on the exposed area.

Step 3: Sprinkle a heavy dusting of glitter all over the glue.

Step 4: Paint over the stenciled letters.

Step 5: Before the glue completely dries, carefully pull back the painters tape piece by piece.

Step 6: Once all of the tape (including the center piece) has been removed and you've allowed it to dry, set up the memo board in a mini easel (mine was from the dollar store years ago) and you're good to go.

The glitter constantly draws my eye to the stuff I need to get done but it's simple enough that it doesn't compete with my inspiration board in the background.

& That is that! Now, I'll never misplace my precious to do list again. Yippee! ::insert silly happy dance here:: By the way, I'm probably incredibly biased, but isn't my work station kind of the best ever? I'd have to agree!

These are some variations that I made with the other leftover cork:

I love these little painted coasters. They will be perfect for out on the patio in the summertime. I simply laid the paint in a geometric pattern on the coasters with spaces between each and then painted over with a very light gray.


I did the same pattern on another six-inch square. I used larger chunks of tape this time around and covered it with glue and glitter just like my memo board. Not exactly sure where I'll use this, but it's pretty all the same.

Some other projects that have made my craft room a bit more organized, piece by piece:

Also, don't forget to check back on SUNDAY, JANUARY 20TH for a new giveaway. How exciting!


I'm linking to:
DIY Showoff | S3 | Classy Clutter | A Little Tipsy | I Heart Nap Time | Mine for the Making | Flamingo Toes | Craftomaniac | Shabby Creek Cottage | Somewhat Simple | My Simple Home Life | My Girlish Whims | Stone Gable | Young and Crafty | Nifty Thrifty Things

Since this project was born directly from my stash of goodies, I'm super excited to be sharing this at the end of the month with the 2013 Craft Challenge January link-up party. The theme of the month is "Leftovers - make something for free," and guess what? This little scrap-buster was definitely a freebie!

5 comments:

  1. Love me some glitter! And yes, I am a big fan of colored post-its plus guilty of losing them all the time. Might just have to do that because my office is definitely a royal mess. Not something worthy of being featured in a magazine....
    uhem.... which you were (zooming into the photo)? So cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invitation. I'll definitely have to check it out. Gotta love those Linky Parties!!

      Delete
  3. That herringbone glitter pattern is AWESOME! Way to use up those leftovers. Thanks so much for linking up to the 2013 Craft Challenge, I hope we see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so very, very cute! Again. I am starting to get quite jealous of your imagination.

    Rosie xx
    P.S. Half joking. PJ pinned your project as her favourite onto our Craft Challenge Board, beating me to it!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...