Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Framed Valentine's Day Wreath

I'm going to be honest: we don't decorate for Valentine's Day... before I started trolling blogs 1+ years ago, I didn't really think that *anyone* did. Turns out they do and I seem to be in the minority. Since we still have our Christmas decorations up, I decided to try my hand at a Valentine's Day themed something to encourage me to box up the holiday stuff. That something turned out to be a replacement for the Star of Bethlehem wreath that should have vacated our front door a couple of weeks ago.



I found all of the materials for this in the Christmas clearance bins at Michael's for a whopping $3.50. Quite a steal if I do say so myself.
I used one of the laser cut wood frames in a fancy baroque style, a fabric covered wooden "LOVE" plaque, a mini red cardinal, and some gingham ribbon.


I painted the wooden frame with a mixture of cream and gray acrylic paint (comes in a natural yellowy-pine color that just didn't jive with the color scheme I wanted). Once it was dry I hot glued the word to the bottom of the frame and added the little bird as an accent.


It's the perfect size for the front door. I was originally planning on just hanging the frame from the wreath hanger like you would a normal wreath but decided it looked too plain. I turned to my trusty hot glue gun, glued a strip of ribbon to the back of the frame, decided it was the perfect finishing touch, and called it a day. 


It's not the norm for a wreath, but I think it complements the holiday perfectly -- fancy (because of the scroll-y frame) but warm and cozy (because of the plaid).

I'm smitten.


If you liked this Valentine's Day wreath, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect. There are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over and share a link to YOUR favorite Valentine's Day project... I need some inspiration. 
I'm linking to:

8 comments:

  1. Love that frame!

    I don't decorate for Valentine's Day either (it's not really a thing in Germany), but my door has been feeling a bit empty since I took down the Christmas decoration last week. Maybe I have to create a new fad of Valentine-y decorations in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I live the little birdie!

    T'onna @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonna! It's amazing how something so small can add the perfect finishing touch :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I was looking for the "love" sign at my Michael's and they didn't have it. I'm going to check back this week. It is exactly what I need for my wreath as well!

    Found you via Nifty Thrifty Things.

    JQ @
    http://itsalwaysruetten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was in the giant Christmas clearance section (the value wall) -- Originally $2 on sale for $0.50 if I remember correctly. Ask one of the clerks, I'm sure they'd be glad to help!

      Delete
  4. I have seen those laser cut frames and thought they were so neat. I love what you did with it! I'll be featuring it on my blog tomorrow!

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't decorate for holidays, but I really like this. A modern take on a wreath. I like it. I am hosting a new link party and would love it if you would link up. http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...