Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Washi Tape Magnets

If you haven't guessed already I have quite the affinity for washi tape. Maybe the suncatchers or the holiday luminary or the mini bunting hinted at that before. If not, our new fridge adornments are definitely making my crafty crush obvious.


You see, our fridge was kind of lacking in the magnet department (we had two mismatched hand-me-downs) and I thought that an update was drastically needed. I gathered my supplies and set to work creating a bulletin board of sorts on the side of our fridge.

MATERIALS
printed washi tape
white washi tape
adhesive magnetic strips
pinking shears
xacto knife
self-healing cutting mat

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Use pinking shears to cut the magnet into strips with jagged edges on each side.


2. Remove the paper backing from the adhesive side of the magnet.

3. Replace the paper backing with a layer of white washi tape directly on top of the adhesive. This layer is pretty much to ensure that the color integrity is as true as possible for the next layer of washi tape.

4. Apply a second layer of washi tape, but this time, use a pattern. I decided to go the simple route and used some black and white patterns.

5. Lay your magnet, tape side down, on your cutting mat.

6. Carefully trim around the sides of the magnet with your xacto knife to keep everything precise and straight.

Once it's completely cut out, your magnets are ready to be stuck wherever you want. Yep, that's that. Now your fridge (or any other metal surface) can look just as fantastic and super cute as a scrapbook page.

I love it! What about you??

If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

14 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! I'm definitely going to try them out for my apartment's not so cute fridge :)
    - Kelsey @ Time Stand Still

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super cute on your fridge! I bought some washi tape but I haven't made anything with it yet. Maybe this will be my first project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and I love that you used the pinking shears on the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Have not ventured into washi tape territory, but I might have to. Too bad our fridge is built-in, so no magnetic front. Pfft! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool have just bought magnet tape for the same purpose, it's look GREAT, love your chevron washi! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are SO cute! I need to make some of those asap! Impressive washi tape collection too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find washi tape so expensive, but I love these and have both a magnetic roll and some adhesive fabric....and thanks to you - a great idea.

    Rosie
    craftbotic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Pinning so I can do it for my command center. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea!! That's for sharing :)

    ~ Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I'm totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love it! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is genius! So glad I found you on TT&J Weekend Wrap Up Party & that I just ordered washi tape! I will be doing this soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2013/01/your-whims-wednesday-96-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow i like it, i will do it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...