Sunday, December 30, 2012

Paint Chip Brooches

Last last-minute project of the year! We'll be heading down to the beach tomorrow afternoon to ring in the New Year. Since it'll be freezing cold down there, we'll be bundled up instead of dressed up. To add a bit of glam {and glitter} to our NYE outfits, I made these simple Paint Chip Brooches:


Grab your quick-drying glue, glitter, and a couple of coordinating paint chips and we'll get started!
I'm not being paid to say this {haha} but I super heart Elmer's Quick Dry Glue Pens because they set as fast as hot glue but are perfect for use in paper crafts. Tacky glue and plain old Elmer's will work equally fine as well. You'll want to grab a few different colors of paint swatches and see where your imagination takes you. Personally, rich purples, greys and blues always remind me of New Year's but maybe a different combo will be best for you.


Cut the chips into 1/4" strips

For the starburst brooch:
Start with a quarter sized circle and a dab of glue

Create a starburst effect by layering the different colors

Jazz it up with some sequins and glitter. Once everything is dry, hot glue a pin back to the reverse side and you're good to go!

For the ombre fan brooch:
Arrange the colors in ombre effect (darkest to lightest)

Start with the darkest shade and apply a drop of glue to the center

Attach the next piece with another drop of glue so that the strips slightly fanned.

Continue attaching all of the strips in the same fashion

When you're done, decorate with a bit of sparkle and attach a pin backing with hot glue.

I wanted some smaller starbursts too so those were made with varying lengths of the paint strips (1-3/4" and 2-1/2").

You could make these in tons of different colors for birthday parties, holidays, school spirit days, etc. Enjoy and happy New Year!
If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! And color-wise, totally my choice, too! =)

    I am so jealous - NYE at the beach? I could do cold and windy if I got to do it by the beach! I hope it is great and you have a marvellous time!

    Btw, I was your blog angel in December, and if you need a pick-me up, you can read the rave I wrote about you, ha ha!

    Wish you a great start into 2013! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I don't get into decorations much for New Year's, but I could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so sweet! I'll bet they are going to look wonderful jazzing up your warm clothing for the beach.
    Happy New Year!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...