Sunday, December 16, 2012

Quick & Easy Appliqued Pencil Case

I've mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again -- I {heart} felt. It's soft, it's durable, and it never frays. In a world of fabric and fiber, it reigns supreme in my book. As a last minute stocking-stuffer for one of my favorite little girls, I added a fun woodland shape to a fabric pouch I got from the Target dollar section. Number nineteen of The 25 Projects of Christmas is quite the multipurpose gift!  

This little bag is perfect as a pencil case, makeup bag, coupon pouch, etc.  Read on for how to make the easiest no-sew applique ever!

Start with any plain fabric pencil case you have on hand (or make one from scratch if you're so inclined). As I mentioned, I got a simple burlap one from the dollar section at Target.  Next, you'll need a piece of felt in a contrasting color and a set of cookie cutters with shapes you like. I got this woodland creatures set from Ikea for like $2.95 if I'm not mistaken. 
That little hedgehog and moose won over my heart and I just needed to get them. 

Step 2 - Trace your favorite shape onto the reverse side of the felt. I wasn't sure which I would like more so I did two just to check them out.

Step 3 - Carefully cut the shapes out with sharp scissors. Flip them over so any ink lines are on the back.

Step 4 - Use some tacky glue to affix the shape to the pouch. I personalized mine a bit with a linen tape banner stamped with her name. And voila, you're finished :)

I like the idea of simple gifts as stocking stuffers and nothing beats a dressed up $1 find. As kids, our stockings were always full of dollar store treats - seashell sets, bouncy balls, candy, bubble bath, crayons, word search books, puzzles, etc. Do you stuff stockings with small and elaborate presents or is it simply a treasure trove of little things?
If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Hey, hey, IKEA! Love the idea of using cookie cutter for something else besides cutting cookies! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely!!!Brilliant idea!I have these cookie cutters :) Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Have a great Year!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely little project. Simple but very effective, love it!

    Irene (EshipGlobal)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...