Monday, July 30, 2012

Medicine Cabinet Makeover

When we bought our house last year, we were so excited for everything but especially to have a nice master bathroom to share. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but we each claimed our own: he has the on-suite and I have the upstairs guest bath. We have never even set foot in the same one at the same time. Since mine is all mine for now, I'm making it as feminine as possible; starting with a makeover for the original medicine cabinet.

All I needed was something to lend me inspiration. When I found this shower curtain at HomeGoods, I knew it was perfect. It's a great focal point with the big bold floral pattern and the color is luscious. It's the best shade of plum that I have ever seen because it's almost neutral and definitely nowhere near Barney. I wanted to start incorporating the color into the rest of the room but I'm much too much of a commitment phobe when it comes to decor to even consider painting the walls but updating the medicine cabinet was a painless decision.


My biggest complaint is that since my bathroom is also the upstairs guest bath, anyone who stays overnight will use it and see everything inside. Besides that, the cabinet was in the bathroom when we moved in and while it was simple and did the job, it was nothing special. 

Let me introduce you to Plain Jane the "just-okay" medicine cabinet. Do you see what I'm talking about? Oh and while we're at it, hello deodorant and wrinkle cream!

First thing's first, I wanted to update the look of the simple design by adding a bit of my favorite color. I antiqued the surface with a mixture of grey acrylic paint, purple acrylic paint, and glazing medium (equal parts of each). All I had to do was brush it on and wipe it off almost immediately. I was precise and applied the paint and removed it all in the same direction to keep it neat and still I was done in less than 20 minutes.

To address the privacy issue I removed the glass panels and used temporary spray adhesive to attach the vinyl lace placemats that were left over from the Cut Lace Carry-All. I then sprayed three coats of Krylon's Looking Glass paint over the entire thing. After the paint dried I carefully removed the placemats and then sprayed a coat of white paint over the glass panels to give the windows a two tone effect. Inserting the windows was a piece of cake and really changed the look of the whole thing.


Like it? I love it! It'd be a great addition to a cute little cottage somewhere on the coast but luckily for me, it's right at home in my bathroom. The purple is subtle but the impact is unmistakable. It brings a whole new level of pretty to the room. Better yet, everything is tucked inside and even though it's a bit cluttered in there, no one has to know.

a close-up of the antique finish... isn't it dreamy?


If you like this little makeover project, consider following Spool and Spoon via email or Google Friend Connect so you don't miss out on other pretty projects and really simple recipes!

I'm linking to:

17 comments:

  1. WOW I love the revamp, so pretty, clean, and elegant. GREAT JOB GIRL. Thanks for the super sweet comment love {{{blush}}} Hugs, jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely deserve it!!

      Thank you! My husband isn't generally a fan of anything too girly but even he was impressed by the little change up.

      Delete
  2. Sure love style of the plain jane cabinet. The drawers are handy on the bottom too I imagine. Your revamp is even better than how it started out. Great to have a nice cabinet like that when you moved in. The fun is in being able to make it yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky to have something that had great "bones." I loved it when we moved in but after awhile, some of those things that you love when you get the house start to morph into things you'd like to switch up. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, look how pretty it is now! Beautiful job. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Nifty Thrifty. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-8.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sooo cute! Absolutely love it! Found you via Classy Clutter :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Great job!
    Congratulations.
    Besos from Argentina, Silvina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Loving that you found me all the way from Argentina!

      Delete
  6. Hi, I am a new follower from Classy Clutter - your blog is lovely and I love this cabinet!
    Peggy @ The Painted Pear
    http://repeartreedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you came all the way over to my little space. Your blog is such a delight. So glad you're a new follower :)

      Delete
  7. This is so lovely...what a great job! Really enjoying your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet compliment. I'm really happy you stopped by :)

      Delete
  8. What a difference! Your medicine cabinet went from functional piece to a great decor statement! I love the color!!!!
    Thanks for sharing this great DYI with us at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how far a little bit of paint can go?! Thanks for hosting such a great party every week!

      Delete
  9. You have such a cute site! I love the after picture, I love how it looks!
    I'm stopping over from a blog hop and am excited to be your newest follower. If you get a chance feel free to stop by and follow back at
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...