Monday, July 16, 2012

Mercury Glass Tutorial

Antique mercury glass is both charming and chic. It really brings that old world feel to a modern home which is exactly my aesthetic. Like most things I covet, it's not exactly cheap... just check out Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware options. Unfortunately, the price doesn't deter me from wanting to live in a pretty little mercury glass bubble.


Did you know you can create the look of vintage mercury glass at home in three simple steps? No way, you say? How, you ask? Let me show you!

All you'll need is Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint and a bottle of water!

You can get the Krylon paint online, but Wal-Mart carries it at a pretty reasonable price. (When will Target get on board with a big ole crafting section?!)

The process is simple:
1. Spray your glass lightly with water, letting little droplets gather on the surface. (You'll see that I taped my glass off and this was simply because I only wanted the base of my jar to have the finish)

2. Spray paint around the entire surface (yes, over the water and all). Don't panic when it starts to take on a very streaky faux silver finish; that's exactly what you want.

3. Let it dry for about 20-25 minutes in the sun. The paint only takes about 10 minutes to be dry enough to touch, but you also need most of the water to evaporate as well. Grab an old dish towel and gently rub over the paint in a "wax on, wax off" motion. You'll get this streaky distressed look that adds so much character.

That's it. You're finished. You didn't think it could possibly be that easy, did ya?

Easy breezy mercury glass in 30 minutes or less.

Now go grab your dollar store candle stick holders, those cheap florist vases, and all of your recyclables! I especially love mercury glass at Christmas so I'm going to be doing a ton of decorations now (while it's warm enough for things to dry outside) and you should, too! I'd love to see what you make!

Come back tomorrow to see the finished mercury glass project! If you're not already following Spool and Spoon via email or Google Friend Connect, make sure you do so you won't miss it.


I'm linking to:

10 comments:

  1. Great Job! I had to read your process as there are a few versions of "homemade" mercury glass finishes out there. Yours is pretty much on key with what I would do. I bought looking-glass paint about 4 months ago to try my hand at this and have yet to experiment! Guess I needed a reminder, so thanks for your post!

    Oh, newest follower too. Stop by my blog sometime for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I bought the spray paint in NOVEMBER but it was too cold around Christmas to ever get to use it and now I can't get enough. I found a lot of tutorials but most seemed too involved. I'd really like to try spraying it on the INSIDE of the container (or the reverse side of the glass). Unfortunately, this project involved the pup's food so I wanted to keep it food-safe with it on the outside and only around the bottom so I wouldn't worry about food coming in contact with the paint. I hope you'll be posting some of your projects on your gorgeous blog soon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you like it. Thanks so much for checking it out :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful tip~ I'm picking some up today! Visiting from StoneGable's TT&T :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love that Link Party. I hope you make something wonderful :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jess: This is very clever, and easy--a win-win! Thank you for sharing it with us--I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess Yvonne sent me over and I adore Mercury Glass!!

    You can be sure I will be trying this right away!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...