Saturday, December 22, 2012

How To: Perfect Felt Bow {no sew!}

I finally wrapped a present. Yes, *one* present. Later tonight I'll wrap all of them but until then, I wanted to share project number twenty-three of The 25 Projects of Christmas: a tutorial for how to make the perfect felt bow. This can be used as a super simple gift topper, a brooch, or a hair accessory.


All you need is a small scrap of felt (double the width of the size bow you want) and a glue gun. I think we can all manage those few things.
Start by accordion folding the felt into 4 equal portions.

The side with two folds, you will leave wide and the side with 1 fold and two tail ends will be narrow. Begin by cutting the wide edge of the bow, like so:

Finish cutting the other side and you'll end up with a piece that looks like this

When it's unfolded, it'll look like this:
Hot glue the ends to the center. This will become the back of the bow.

Cut out a small, thin piece to be the center of your bow and two tail pieces. I didn't use a pattern and simply cut them freehand.

Wrap the center piece around the center of the bow and hot glue in the back

Then hot glue the tails on the back as well and it will end up looking like the most perfect bow you've ever made... ever.

I used double-sided tape to attach it to my Secret Santa gift for work and was done. Love it!

Like I said earlier though, this would be an adorable accessory for the holidays (or in other pretty colors for everyday), so experiment! It would have been an extra sassy adornment for my embellished gloves from the other day so I think I need to make a new set!
If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun.

I'm linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Very cute, I really love the shape! I've made something similar (but not quite as cute) for some keychains I made, I really have to show you soon. Take care and enjoy your holiday party tonight! =) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Jess, I always work with felted wool and think it would work nicely with that too.

    I want to wish You and your Family (including doggie) a Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years...

    See ya next year on your blog, and can't wait to see what you have in store for 2013. :) hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and cute!
    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...