Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Crispy Oven Fries

Aside from 24/7 Jasper time, my favorite aspect of maternity leave has been the ability to cook a homemade meal every night. Having time to make food from scratch is pretty flippin awesome (just ask my husband. haha!) No more pre-made pizza crust or bagged frozen potatoes in this house.

In addition to my 'tried and true' dishes, I've tried out new things to add to my repertoire. One of our new 'family favorites' are these Crispy Oven Fries. Sure, they take a bit more work than frozen fries but that's to be expected. But the flavor?! Yeah, these are unbeatable. Since I made the first batch, we've had them with dinner every.single.Friday.



I wouldn't necessarily call these 'healthy' because there is some oil involved but considering that they are baked, not fried, it's a pretty nice addition to any turkey burger out there. (Did you know? In the 8ish years that Joe and I have been together, I have *never* used ground beef? In the good ole days, I substituted soy protein but I've since come around to ground turkey.)

What makes these so special? The prep (soaking the potatoes) is without a doubt the most important aspect to making finger lickin' good oven fries. Arguably, the seasoning is also extra special.

INGREDIENTS
3 medium red potatoes (1 per person, plus 1 for extra fries - you'll thank me later)
1T salt
2T olive oil
1T Adobo (seasoning in the Latin food section)
Cayenne, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cut potato into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. I'm not a fan of steak fries, so I cut mine fairly thin.
2. Cut those slices into slivers about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide
3. *MOST IMPORTANT STEP* Place cut potatoes into a large bowl and cover with water. Add salt and stir. Allow potatoes to soak for a minimum of 30 minutes but preferably 2-4 hours in the fridge.
4. Drain potatoes and rinse thoroughly.
5. Preheat over to 350
6. While the oven is preheating, place potatoes on cooling racks layered with paper towels and pat dry. The drier, the better.
7. In a dry bowl, combine the potatoes, olive oil, Adobo, and cayenne. Toss to coat.
8. In a single layer, place the potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
9. Bake for 20 minutes and flip. Return fries to the over for another 20 minutes (or until golden and crisp), Serve immediately and enjoy!

I'm linking to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...