Friday, August 10, 2012

Craft Room Organization: Peg Board

I'm always on a quest to keep my craft room looking as good as it did when it was first finished. One of my favorite organizational tools has been my peg board. If this wasn't a gift from above, I don't know what is. The only problem is that I'm probably one of the most disorganized crafters out there and I never put things back where they belong. That is why I came up with a new way to ensure that all materials go back to their designated space. 


First thing's first: Get all of the tools and materials situated in a functional and aesthetically pleasing layout on your peg board.
...oh my! how did that empty wine glass get in the picture??

Then remove each, one by one, and trace the reverse side onto the back of the scrapbook paper you want to use. Be sure to label each so you know exactly which silhouette pairs with what tool. I had considered using contact paper but not only would I be limited by the pattern selection, I'd also have to take a lot of time sticking it on and removing it if I wanted to change the layout.

Using an x-acto knife, carefully cut out each silhouette. I also cut out strips to line the clear cups and bins.

Not only did I want pretty little silhouettes for all of the tools, but I also wanted labels for each cubby, cup, and container. Make a list of all of the materials you want to label.

I created a simple "stitched" label in PowerPoint and typed each of items in, then printed all of them onto a light grey cardstock.

Cut out the labels. Affix the labels to each silhouette and bin liner with double sided tape, glue, or glue dots.

Using a basic hole punch, punch holes at the top of each of the shapes and slide them over the hooks on the peg board. Replace all of your products and VOILA, a place for everything and everything in it's place!


a close up of some of the bins



I made little tags for the porcelain containers



The transformation took less than two hours, and the majority of that was spent creating the labels. If you'd like my PowerPoint template for them, feel free to shoot me a line. I absolutely love the splash of color over the grey walls, but most of all it's nice to know that I will never have an excuse not to put something back where it belongs. What do you think??


If you like this easy project, you should consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect for other tutorials and recipes that are sure to tickle your fancy. Also, did you know we have a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

15 comments:

  1. That's something that I need to tackle, too. My crafting stuff is all over the house, but having it all in one place neatly stacked, with pretty shapes that remind me where to put stuff (and make me realize when something is missing) - so great! Would also be a cute idea for a workshop / garage area (just can't see my husband cutting out scrapbook paper - heh heh!)... xo Anja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally laughed out loud. If you can convince your husband to do this, you'd be a saint in my book.

      Delete
  2. fantastic! I love that you traced the items, so everything goes back in its special place. Well done. Sharing this on COM-FB winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea! I love it. I have seen the tracing idea before but not in the cute way you have applied it. I am going to do this. I love it. Nice work! I am you new follower.

    When I get around to making one like this I will shear it with you. Glad I found your blog today

    Kasey from
    http://mylifeonthedivide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea! I love the pegboard- what a great way to keep your space clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess,

    Great work I love it!! You are a genius organazing things, thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a look at my blog I’ll be so glad.

    Hugs from Portugal

    Ana Love Craft

    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very neat and pretty!
    Love the traced items, they surely add a touch!
    Cheers
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Where did you get the pegboard and bins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristi -- I emailed you but want to make sure everyone else can find them as well. The bins can be purchased on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Azar-900945-CLR-Pegboard-Organizer-Frosted/dp/B002MXXXMK

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this info! I just finished my craft/sewing room and this is extremely helpful! Where did you buy the cute white porcelain containers?

      Delete
    3. Thank you for this info! I just finished my craft/sewing room and this is extremely helpful! Where did you buy the cute white porcelain containers?

      Delete
  8. Pegboard Hooks At Peghooks-pegboardhooks.com Buy all types of peg boards for your garage and homes. We offer peg board with fast shipping facility with best quality of products at less pricing schemes Peg Boards At Peghooks-pegboardhooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! Where did you get the clear plastic and white porcelain containers?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...