Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DIY Wooden Tribal Necklace

Sometimes I forget that I'm not as young and hip as I think I am. Today is all about me venturing over to the wild side. You, too, can unleash your inner animal with this DIY tribal necklace!


I bought this wooden bib necklace on Zulily with a DIY in mind (you can get something similar here, here, here, or here!)... I just didn't know what. Finally, it hit me - TRIBAL. Tribal patterns have been flooding my Pinterest feed, in tons of magazines, and all over my favorite stores. But let's be real, it's bold. It can be a bit overwhelming for newbies, so a necklace was the perfect gateway piece.

It went from Plain Jane to Aztec Beauty in less than an afternoon.


I did a ton of searching on Google and Pinterest to find classic tribal prints. Turns out, they're just a combination of symmetry, repetition, and simplistic elements, so I just ran with it. No sketching, no planning, just a really fun DIY.

I used a permanent paint pen and drew directly onto the pendants. Starting in the center, I worked outwards and did matching patterns on each side. I left two pieces undone to preserve a natural element on the piece. I guess you could seal it when you're done painting, but if it ages, it will only look better. 


When I finished up, I couldn't believe how legit it looked. My little sister collects a lot of cultural items from Ghana and while it doesn't follow the artistic norms of that specific country, I would totally expect to see something like it amongst her stuff. It is probably my new favorite piece. 


So far, I have only had the chance to wear it twice: The easiest way was pairing it with a white top and jeans for a pop of the unexpected. I also tucked it under the color of my fave chambray shirt on Monday and I thought it looked really unique. How would you suggest wearing tribal? I need help thinking outside the box!


I think I caught the tribal bug. Know of any relevant DIYs?? Please share a link to your favorites in the comments as I'd love to explore! Thanks!

I'm linking to:

14 comments:

  1. Love your version so much better than it's original state! Since the colors are neutral you should try it with a colorful top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, great idea!! I wear a ton of coral so fingers crossed that it will work with that combination! I hope you've been feeling great lately because you've been looking stunning :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cool, I love the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bethany! I'm so glad you checked it out early on Instagram :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, that looks great! Where do you find the time my dear. :) Hope all is well with you and your lovely family.
    Laura, hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura! Oh how I've missed you :) Everything is wonderful -- thanks so much for checking in!!

      Delete
  5. I love that necklace. I might make one for my daughter. Thanks for the idea Jess.

    Irene (Hammerle Divorce Lawyers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I'm sure your daughter will go bananas for one as well :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. So cute - it makes such a difference! Glad you're having more time for crafting again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really truly missed blogging for real. Especially our witty back and forth :) I hope your autumn is off to a wonderful start!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely out of character for me but I feel so flippin COOL when I'm walking around with that necklace on haha!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...