Saturday, May 18, 2013

Washi Tape Sculpture

Thank goodness for yard sale season! It's one of the absolute best parts of the year, dontcha agree? A couple weeks ago, the Mr. and I stopped by a garage sale at an alpaca farm and I found some simple hand-carved wooden animals. There were sea turtles and rays and a really awesome elephant. Confetti & Stripes put together an awesome collection of elephant inspired decor so I just KNEW I needed it in my life. Unfortunately, the ugly 70s finish was just too much for me to handle. I had originally intended to paint it or cover it with gold leaf, but seeing as I had it for a couple of weeks and still hadn't made up my mind I went with something a little less permanent - washi tape.


This is the perfect project to do with the kids this summer because it's virtually mess-free and would be an easy addition to their decor. It's as easy as 1-2-3. 

1. Start with a simple sculptural element like my $4 wooden elephant. 


2. Tear off small pieces of washi and put the pieces all over.

3. Keep on keeping on. Cover up every little bit of the surface.

And it's that simple. This little guy is bright and cheerful and tons of fun.. for now. I love that since it's just washi tape, I can take it off if I ever want to do something else with the elephant.


I'm linking to:

6 comments:

  1. Cute! Love the colors - I should definitely go to some yard sales, too :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative idea and what a difference! I think that elephant's eye was a little creepy in the before picture lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool idea! I'm just thinking of all the things you could do this to! Thanks for linking my elephant post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sculpture - but I think I'm most captivated by that mug! Where is it from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...