Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My First Dress Alteration

Okay, so I realize this isn't earth-shattering news or whatev but I am so proud of myself. I altered my very first piece of clothing! It's not like I don't love to sew, but I've always been too scared to make clothing for myself. The next best thing? Altering an existing garment into something much more wearable.

It was gorgeous this past weekend so I pulled out a dress I bought back in 2009 when I worked at American Eagle. It's been big and parachute-like for too long. After less than an hour, I had a dress that was much more flattering.


Is it just me or does it look like I'm a good five to ten pounds lighter in the after photo? I could have taken it in a couple more inches but I wanted to maintain the casual air about (plus I'm a scaredy cat and I'd rather take too little than too much).

I think this was only the first fling in a long love affair with my sewing machine and existing clothes. What was your first clothing alteration? Know any good tips?

I'm linking to:

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! Isn't it exciting to turn something you didn't really like into a great fitting piece?

    My advice is to be friends with your seam ripper and don't be afraid to keep altering until you get the look you want. Sometimes it just doesn't work out on the first try. Also alter stuff you wouldn't be upset to ruin until you get more comfortable with your skills. Looking forward to seeing more alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I agree it took inches off (always a good thing!)!

    Cheers,
    Julia
    It's Always Ruetten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! I've been fighting with my machine lately (it's trying to get out of working) so i have an unfinished shirt that I'm DYING to wear...but it's way to huge (thrift store find w/ intent to alter). Great job with your dress...I'm hoping I can get that shirt done soon....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely better! Love the new version =) Navy blue with polka dots is one of my all-time favorite combos.
    I still have a pretty white dress hanging in my closet (actually, there might be two - shame on me!) that need to be altered. You might have given me the kick in the butt that I needed! ;-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...