Saturday, February 16, 2013

Woodland Spoons

I made these little babies over the weekend and they are sort of my favorite. Decorated cooking tools are always so eye catching to me but it's not like you can just paint onto something that will be in regular contact with food so what can you do? If it's wood, you can carve or burn it in. Since I have no idea how to whittle wood, I went with the latter.


I have been wanting a wood-burning kit for awhile; it's probably my inner girl scout or something. For some reason I always thought they were super expensive or something and then last week the Mr. and I were perusing the aisles of A.C. Moore and I saw that the start-up kit was all of $12.99 so with the 40% off coupon, it would be like $8. I snagged it right away. I came home and pondered and pondered and pondered some more. Oh what should I make? Well, I wanted a simple beginner project but the only wood I had was a set of bamboo spoons from Jo-Ann's.


They would do, right? Right. I wasn't sure what to put on them, so I turned to my trusty embroidery pattern books and came across several woodland pieces and if you follow me on Pinterest, then you might know that I have a slight obsession with woodland themes and creatures. I picked a couple of animals and sketched them out. I really wanted to do a deer on the slotted spoon but for some reason, I just couldn't get it to look right so I settled with a bunny instead.


If you can draw whatsoever (or even trace a picture) you can burn wood. The tool is pretty much a huge pen with a really hot tip. I dived in and had a little bit of trouble at first simply because I didn't take into account that the spoons were coated... bleh. After I overcame that, they were finished.


They aren't perfect, but they sure are adorable. I think they'll look precious when our kitchen remodel is underway/finished. They're whimsical and just plain old cute.


The hedgehog is definitely my favorite. You probably don't know this about me (or the Mr.) but way back when, we had obsessed about getting a baby hedgehog. If you're like "whattttt? That's so weird!" you need to go over to YouTube right now for cute hedgie videos or just Google it because you're gonna be all "Awwwww they are so cute!" in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately, they are illegal in Pennsylvania so after a year or so, we got our pretty little Aubergine instead. We're pretty sure that Aubrey and Quinn would join forces to eat one so no more hedgehog dreams for us.

Anywho, I cannot wait to use the woodburner again. It's pretty awesome. Have you used one before? What did you make?

I'm linking to:

8 comments:

  1. I just used one a few weeks back to make Love Bird Art. I posted the project to my blog last week. I love how it turned out! :) Your spoons are ADORABLE! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to try it out on some more projects. Your love bird art was too cute!

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness that hedgehog is just adorable! hey, I'm in PA too... odd coincidence since I met you as a blogger because of a girl in Germany! Holla Anja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea and the bunny! My colleague rescued a little hedgehog at work recently - after falling down some stairs, it was trapped (luckily, not hurt) - the cutest thing ever. It is now spending winter in her garden.
    xo
    PS My new life purpose: making Pennsylvanians meet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you hear the word Pennsylvanian, it doesn't sound real! I love how cute the little bunny is. We rescued a hedgehog once at school, but it had to be put down. It had poked its eye out on a bush. My mum was horrified as apparently they carry fleas. Basically the saddest story ever. I don't know why I'm still writing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! We have a wood burning kit, and I plan on using it when I get more familiar with my new router. I love how you jumped right in and did an amazing project right off the bat.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hedgehog one is adorable. These would make great gifts that could be personalize to each individual!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...