Friday, February 22, 2013

Toms Sunglasses Pouch

I have a slight obsession with my Ray Ban Wayfarers. Over the summer my super wonderful husband bought me this matte blue pair and I treasure them. He also bought me my first pair of Toms, too! I'm a bit too smitten with that brand altogether; I'd buy every pair if I was allowed. This project combines both of those lovelies into one single accessory - a lined canvas pouch for your sunglasses.


When you buy a pair of Toms, not only do they donate a pair of shoes to a child in need but they also send you this simple little drawstring bag / flag.. it's a whatever you want to call it. This one has been laying around my craft room every since I got my shoes and it was about time that I used it. 


I searched high and low for a tutorial that would use less than a fat quarter's worth of fabric and came across this sunglasses case. It was a bit more complicated than I wanted so I just tweaked it slightly which made the overall project much simpler. 

What you'll need:
(the linen and cording came from the Toms flag)

Instructions:
1. Place the linen pieces right side together and sandwich them between a piece of felt on either side

2. Sew with a quarter-inch seam allowance around the entire body leaving ONLY the one top side open. Trim off any excess.

3. With the two flannel pieces, stitch along each long side but leave the short edges open.

4. Keep the linen/felt sleeve inside out but flip the felt sleeve right side out (seams inside).

5. Slip the felt sleeve inside of the linen sleeve and pin the drawstring to the inside corner (folded in a loop with the two edges at the end).


6. Stitch around the top edge. Now this part is a bit confusing but Sew Fantastic explains it very well -- Pull the felt sleeve out then pull the linen sleeve through the felt sleeve (it will now be right side out). Stitch up the opening in the felt and push it back down inside of the case. Now it's all finished.


You can use the drawstring to hang it on a hook, clip it to the inside of your bag, or grab it on the go.


Even though it's cold as heck, it's been awfully sunny (deceptively sunny actually) so it's the perfect time to have whipped this together! It's cushy because of the felt, safe for your glasses because of the flannel, and trendy cute because ... well, it's TOMS! 

I'm linking to:
Tatertots & Jello | S3 | Classy Clutter | I Heart Nap Time | Mine for the Making | Flamingo Toes | Craftomaniac | Shabby Creek Cottage | My Girlish Whims | Stone Gable | Young and Crafty | Nifty Thrifty Things


This also happens to be my "Re-Purposed" submission to the February project for the 2013 Craft Challenge hosted by CocaloresCraftbotic, and Planned in Pencil!

6 comments:

  1. So cute Jess! Sund wonderful with all the sunny weather! We actually didn't need the sunglasses yet, and it's cold too here in Denmark. Lucky Tom! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what Toms shoes are but I like their ethics. Great tutorial and idea for the bag though. Quick question....when sewing around the top, did you use your machine? I can never work out how to bend the edges!!! Thanks for linking up. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a brand new Toms bag just waiting to be turned in to a cute little bag! My sunglasses are of the Walmart clearance variety, so perhaps the bag will hold something else, but I love the idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I have those bags and have no idea what to do with them! I would love if you would share this over at our blog hop http://www.ablossominglife.com/2013/03/frugal-crafty-blog-hop-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Newest follower here! I found your blog through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog :) You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...