Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lace and Fringe Square Scarf

Have you ever been suckered into buying those cheap "pashmina" scarves at the craft store (or any store for that matter)? No? Just me? Shucks. Well I picked one up the other week because they were on super sale for $2! Despite the fact that Spring is supposed to be right around the corner, it's been cold as heck here so I grabbed a nude colored one. I had the intention of making this scarf but alas, I couldn't find black lace in the correct width. I did have a four inch wide lace piece in my stash so instead, I made this lace and fringe square scarf.



The fun part of the scarf is not the contrasting colors (because that isn't necessary -- it's just what I had on hand) but the textures; that's what keeps everything fresh and interesting. 



I'm a bad blogger though. Tsk tsk. I didn't take picture while I was making it simply because I wasn't really sure that it would turn out looking okay since I was just winging it. It wasn't all that hard though so you could definitely do it. 


What you have to do is start with a wide scarf and create a square. You'll do this by folding the short end diagonally over the rest of the scarf and snip, snip, snipping. This is a great way to upcycle a scarf with a hole or maybe a stain on one side.
Once your square is cut, you'll know that one side has fringe and the other side is going to start fraying right away. On the fraying side (opposite the edge with fringe), iron the edge back a quarter of an inch then fold down another quarter of an inch and press it again. Once the edge has been pressed with the fraying end tucked neatly inside, sew on a scrap of lace that is the same length as your square. This will add a decorative edge but it will also finish off the seam.

With that, you're done!

Just fold it diagonally (like a triangle) and knot it up with two of the loose ends. Slip it over your head and you're good to go :)



I'm linking to:

5 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I just pinned a scarf with lace and was thinking I could make one! Thanks for the visit and the sweet comment girlie :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! Lace always adds some pizzazz (I'm sure I'm using this word totally wrong) - and you're definitely not the only one who's picked up a fakeshmina ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! It looks so easy too. Trying to think if I have anything in my crafting stash that I could use for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so beautiful. Pashmina scarves gives different look when you wear round style on the neck.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...