Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Springtime Mason Jar Photo Holder

I recently took part in the Martha Stewart Glass Painting Program and had a blast creating an assortment of things. You see, Plaid Crafts has these great new Martha Stewart paintable clings that pair perfectly with their liquid fill glass paint. The clings are awesome simply because they are repositionable so you can change out your decor season after season, year after year. Since Spring is right around the corner (or so says Mr. Punxsutawney Phil), I used the Martha Stewart Crafts Butterfly and Blossoms clings and a few different shades of blue and green paint to create a new decor piece -- a Springtime Mason Jar Photo Holder.


Isn't it kind of the best thing ever? That might be a slight exaggeration, but then again, I'd have to agree that it's slightly more than just plain awesome. Do you remember that picture of craft supplies that I shared on Instagram about two weeks ago? Well, this is one of the projects I used with those babies!


Materials:
Vintage Mason Jar
Martha Stewart Crafts Glass Paint Liquid Fill
Martha Stewart Crafts Paintable Clings


I chose the dragonflies because they're such dainty and unexpectedly beautiful creatures (let's not say insects because that grosses me out). I loved the floral shapes as well but they were a bit large and were calling my name for a different project.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Turn the bottles upside down and hold like a pen. The paint will flow pretty freely without any use of pressure.
2. Start painting in the lines. If by chance you are a bit too excited and accidentally color outside the lines, just wipe it away with a damp paper towel before it dries.


3. You can color in just one color and call it a day

4. Or, if you so choose, start mixing colors like I did to give the wings some realistic coloring.

5. Once they're painted, place the clings on a flat surface and walk away for a couple of hours (two should be just fine) so they can drive.

Once the clings are dry, we're ready for the easiest non-traditional picture frame ever!


1. Find a great vintage mason jar (or a brand new one if that's all you got) and slip in a Springy photo. That's a photo of my two favorite kids at the flower farm back when I was still their nanny. Ahhhh memories! I could just look at those smiling faces all day everyday! 
2. & 3. Once your photo is where you want it, start applying the clings. They'll stick to just about any nonporous surface, but don't fret if you don't love where you immediately place it because you can peel it up and stick it somewhere else.
4. And that's that! You've got a super simple but incredibly stunning picture display.

It reminds me of the bug catching jars from my childhood and that's exactly what I was going for.



The finished mason jar found it's home on the windowsill above the kitchen sink. Sunlight just pours through the jar and dragonflies. Even though it's 30 degrees outside, when I look out the window I can practically smell the newly blossomed flowers and hear the birds chirping.





I'm linking to:

4 comments:

  1. So pretty! I think creating a spring project now is just what we need after all this snow and drizzle. Sunshine, where are you?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dragon flies. I once went to a waterfall in Spain and there were hundreds of them - really pretty and good memories. Then I went to Australia and before the dry season there are also lots of them, except they are gigantic. Still pretty, but also like mega dragon flies.

    I think this jar is gorgeous.

    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a pretty project! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and the dragon flies are the perfect accent!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...