Sunday, November 17, 2013

How to: Draw a Chalk Art Wreath

No matter how busy I am, I just love this time of year. Who needs Thanksgiving anyways? Christmas is where it's at! We started decking the halls this weekend and I couldn't be more thrilled!

I'm going to preface this by saying I am by no means, a chalk art guru. Buttttttt I wanted to share a really great tip that just about anyone can use to amp up their own holiday decor. Chalkboard art has been all the rage for a couple of seasons and, fingers crossed, that won't be changing anytime soon. I thought it might be fun to add an unexpected piece to our holiday home this year -- a monogrammed chalkboard wreath. 



Here's how I went about drawing this bad boy!


First, for materials - you'll want a chalkboard surface (or poster board or foam core board) and chalk of some sort. I'd highly recommend a liquid chalk pen. I got this one for a buck in the one spot section at Target! 


Drawing the wreath will take only a couple of minutes and three different strokes. I think of this just like the method you would use to create a wreath or bouquet -- get the large pieces first, then the bulk filler, then finish up with the teeny tiny detail pieces. 

1. Petal Shapes | 2. Bough Shapes | 3. Holly Berry Shapes

Draw petals/leaves in a circular pattern

Fill in between the petal shapes with the boughs: I think it's easier to first draw the line (stem) of each piece around the entire form.


And then go in and draw each individual needle on the stem. This step makes a TON of difference in the final product!

Lastly, fill in the gaps with clusters of berries. This is where the whole wreath finally comes together. 

And there you have it! I love how each individual step is just a simple and organic drawing. There is absolutely no artistic talent needed -- anyone could draw this. Seriously! You could draw this on a simple black paper backdrop, or on tiny circle place cards, or as tags on gift wrap.

I used mine on a non-traditional surfaced and finished it off with an 'M' in the center of the wreath shape and a few doodles around the perimeter. Next week, I'll share with you how I styled the piece!


I'm linking to:

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jess, I'm Aimee! I just found your blog through Sumo's Sweet Stuff. I love your projects, and this wreath is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee you are just a doll for stopping by! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  2. So cute! I marvel at how precise some people are with their chalkboard pens. I still haven't jumped aboard the chalkboard trend yet, but I really should start with a great project like this one :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't believe how precise people are with actual chalk... I can't even fathom the amount of tedious work that goes into those sorts of projects. The pen was really easy to work with though, I'd definitely suggest going that route. Afterall, if you don't like it -- just try, try, try again. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post! What a fun project and I love how you break it down. Chalkboard pens are so useful! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bree -- I'm so glad you found the breakdown useful. It's always nice to remember that most intricate projects can be simplified to a point where anyone can try their hand at it. Honestly though, I couldn't even imagine trying to do it with actual chalk, I would have been smudging it all over the place haha :)

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...