Sunday, October 13, 2013

How To: Enjoy a Pomegranate in Five Minutes or Less

!!WARNING: POMEGRANATES WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS TUTORIAL!!

Pomegranate season is upon us! If you have never enjoyed one of these babies, buy one! Right now. Seriously, get on that.

Once Autumn has arrived, I patrol the produce stands for those yummy jewels. The only pain in the tush is actually popping out the little arils (the edible portion of the fruit) in what I would consider a "timely manner." I used to individually pick out each and every seed (for what took like an hour) until I found this ridiculously easy trick.


Check it out!
Beat the pomegranate with your favorite wooden spoon. No joke. I've been doing it this way for the past few years and holy wow, it's so. much. easier.

Step 1: Cut about 1/4 of an inch deep, around the entire circumference of the pomegranate. In essence, you are scoring the pomegranate as you are not actually cutting through.
Step 2: With your fingers, pry the pomegranate open. Pull the two halves apart.
Step 3: Holding the pomegranate in both hands (thumbs on top, fingers underneath), start stretching it out to loosen up the fibers holding the arils in place.


Step 4: Over an empty bowl, hold the pomegranate half with the open side facing down. Use a wooden spoon/spatula/etc to knock the arils out. It'll take several good smacks and hitting in different spots, but you'll clean out the whole half.
Step 5: Continue with the second half
Step 6: You'll inadvertently knock some of the white stuff in with the arils, so you will need to pick that part out of your bowl as it's not edible.


And with that, you have a bowl full of yummy pomegranate to enjoy!



I'm linking to:

8 comments:

  1. Oh great! That should make that much easier to eat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome :) Try it -- you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  2. Sounds so much easier! I guess it also takes care of any stress that we might bring home from work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO TRUE! I'm pretty sure I released quite a bit of pent up aggression haha.

      Delete
  3. YUM! I've never bought one before, but have tried the seeds. I have to admit I didn't know how to do it.
    Thank you!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy the "Pom-Poms" at the grocery store simply because they were so much more convenient. Now that I do this, I can go the more inexpensive route of buying whole Pomegranates and doing it myself.

      Delete
  4. Ok , so I love Pomes but refuse to eat them unless someone else gets the seeds out , thank you for this info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! But Olga, that's what kids are for, right? :) At least now you know how if you really wanted to eat some but you were all alone

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...