Tuesday, September 10, 2013

DIY Pet Rocks - Chalkboard Style!


How flippin fun are those little guys? Ahhh. I sorta loved pet rocks as a kid... googly eyes and all. These are bit more grown up and oh so modern with their chalk art styling. You already know that I heart woodland creatures so I made little cartoony owls on this set but you could do whatever you like. Oh and did I mention these are super easy and virtually mess free??

So, what do you need to make a set of your own? 



Simple: black river rocks (I got mine on clearance for $0.50 at Jo-Ann Fabrics!) and a white paint pen. Galaxy markers are my fave for something like this because you can get an assortment of colors, they work incredibly well on dark surfaces and they are permanent. Woot woot!

Then what? 

Draw your little heart out, girlfriend. The paint dries super duper quickly so you don't have to worry about smudges. Even so, I'd imagine that nail polish remover would take care of that :)


I went all crazy like and drew a random assortment of owls. I am mad about them. They are all sketchy and funky and they make my heart go pitter patter. Since the marker is permanent, you don't need to seal them. I did though (just to be safe) and sprayed a fine layer of acrylic sealer on them.


I'm not 100% sure how they'll be used this autumn but I'm not worried. For now, I tossed them on the kitchen table in a retro wire bin with some leaves. Works for me :)


What do you think?


I'm linking to:

8 comments:

  1. adorable! I had never heard of Galaxy markers, I will definitely need to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll loveeee them! They come in a ton of colors and while they are a little pricey, they can be used in so many ways. The ink lays on top of your "canvas" rather than soaking into it so you get true colors even on really dark backgrounds. I'm thinking about creating a permanent Christmas chalkboard art that I can use year in and year out and I'm pretty sure these paired with a piece of black foam board or poster board (in a frame) will do the trick.

      Delete
  2. Cute! I've been thinking about collecting some rocks when I take Coca for a walk - this would make such an adorable project! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute!! I love the endless possibilities for doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I'm a huge owl lover so that's what caught my eye, but these little rocks are awesome! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I'm a huge owl lover so that's what caught my eye, but these little rocks are awesome! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...