Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY Pine Cone and Lace Angel

Is it bad that I have a countdown for Christmas on my phone? Is it worse that I've had this countdown going on since September? I'm slightly embarrassed to have even admitted that. Now that it's out in the open, you can understand why I have plans for a ton of holiday projects which will be filed under The 25 Projects of Christmas. The series will include DIY gifts, decorations, recipes, printables and activities! Today is the first post: Pine Cone & Lace Angel Ornament.


This rustic angel ornament is made out of a pine cone and a lace remnant and was incredibly easy to assemble.


1 wooden bead
1 pine cone
1 scrap of lace (4"x7" is plenty)
glitter
double-sided tape or tacky glue
hot glue & gun
ribbon / twine
felt decorations

1. Cut a rounded crescent (almost like a boomerang) out of the lace.
2. Hand stitch a straight line down the center of the crescent. Pull the thread slightly to gather it. Knot the thread. If your lace is flimsy, consider stiffening it so that it retains the shape of wings.
{HINT!} Ran out of fabric stiffener? Don't have time for a glue/water mixture to dry? Use hairspray and your blow dryer! Simply spray the hairspray in a few coats onto the lace and then blast it for 30 seconds or so on low heat/power until it's set. 
3. Draw an angelic happy face onto the wooden bead.
4. Using tacky glue or thin strips of double-sided tape, form a halo around the bead head.
5. Insert a chop stick into the head and apply glitter to the halo. I used Martha Stewart's Smoky Quartz fine glitter.
6. Assemble the angel by hot gluing the pieces in place.



This is a really easy (and practically free!) primitive ornament but it would be a darling present topper as well... Just picture it with a little banner attached with the recipient's name. If you don't have pine cones galore right out of your front door, this could be made with a variety of materials: round glass ornament, large pom pom, paper cone. 

Remember to visit regularly so you don't miss the future installments of The 25 Projects of Christmas! Consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 
I'm linking to:

7 comments:

  1. How cute! And that hairspray tip is great because I never ever have fabric stiffener.
    I've never actually made my own ornaments (only when I was a kid, of course), but I thought about making some stylish ones this year. However, I bought an Eiffeltower ornament - I guess I'm prepared for the season ;-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pinecone people. This is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, very cute! I love that it incorporates a pinecone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously adorable! I love them - they are pinned and I shared it on my Facebook page too! Thanks for coming by 504main so I could discover your way fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's quite lovely. Thank you for sharing the how-to.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...