Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Coquito - Egg Nog's Caribbean Cousin

The seventh installment of The 25 Projects of Christmas is all about my favorite holiday beverage. I’ve been waiting patiently to share this recipe. I mentioned yesterday that we had our first taste of Coquito for the year over the weekend. You may have read that and said, what the heck is coquito (pronounced koh-KEY-toe)? Maybe you were even motivated to do a quick Google search.  What you'll find out is that it's a Caribbean specialty for the holidays. If you like egg nog, and even if you don't, you'll LOVE this. I'm putting my personal guarantee on that!



Christmas just wouldn’t be the same without coquito at the holiday celebrations with the Mr.'s family. It's one of those little things that I look forward to each year and I crave it all year round. If you’ve never had an opportunity to try coquito, you'll feel the same way when you do. You’re seriously missing out on the best beverage ever. Best beverage ever, you ask? YES! Best. Beverage. Ever. It’s creamy, seasonal, rich, and alcoholic… yum! You can include eggs, but that's not my style. Just like chocolate chip cookies, everyone has their own way of making it and I use the recipe below. It comes out *almost* as good as my father-in-law’s but his just can’t be beat so I’ll take that!

2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
2 cans of coconut milk
2 cans of coconut cream
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of rum (not spiced)

Don't let all of the coconut ingredients scare you, this won't taste like Malibu!
1. Pour everything together in a blender.
2. Blend until combined — I’ve found that it’s easier to do the recipe half and half since it yields too much for an average sized blender. This means 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1 can of coconut milk, 1 can of coconut cream, 1.5 cups of rum, and some cinnamon and salt blended together and poured into a pitcher and then repeat.
3. Refrigerate in a sealed container

**Serve cold & shake/stir before serving**



I'm not a great salesperson and I'm definitely not pushy but I have to insist that you try this for your next holiday shindig. You won’t be disappointed! 
If you're tempted to try something new, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect. There are plenty of other mouth-watering recipes and simple for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, can someone please make one for me right now? Have never seen coconut cream in stores here, but I totally have to check that out. I can see this as our Christmas drink this year - or maybe as a delicious ice-cream! =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...