Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stars & Stripes: Wooden Flag Art

Last weekend as I was browsing HomeGoods, I found the cutest gnome ever tucked on a random shelf. As I eagerly scooped him up, I noticed a distressed patriotic frame on the lower shelf. It was perfect for the summer holidays with it's flag motif but I had no use for yet another frame especially one that I probably wouldn't use so I walked away. Later on that night, I ran across this Painted American Flag at Pottery Barn and figured it was a sign from above; both pieces served as the inspiration for my first Stars and Stripes project for the 4th of July: Wooden Flag Art.


Materials:
  • Finished Wood Slab (I used a 6"x8"x1" cutting board. But if you want to replicate the monumental size of the PB piece, just use something larger)
  • Painters Tape
  • Rotary Cutter
  • Acrylic Paint (Plaid's Satin Cream, Crimson, Barn Red, and Too Blue)
  • 1" Bristle Brush or Sponge Brush
  • Sand Paper
  • Star Stickers
  • Sepia Decoupage Finish



Procedure:
1. Sand lightly and then coat with 2-3 coats of cream paint; allow brush strokes to show

 2. Cut painters tape to cover all areas that need to remain white (the stripes and the top left portion for the stars). We only had 2" painters tape handy so I cut the strips 2/3 of an inch wide with my rotary cutter for the stripes. For the stars area, I overlapped tape to form a 3" x 3.5" rectangle.

3. Cover the areas as shown below. Apply firmly, but do not press too hard, you actually want the paint to bleed a little bit.

4. Mix the two reds in equal parts and paint all of the exposed areas

5. Remove tape and apply star stickers. (Don't count mine... I definitely couldn't fit 50 on there)

6. Affix the tape to create boundaries for the blue paint. Apply the blue in 2-3 coats.

7. After the paint has dried, remove the star stickers. Don't worry when it gets a little messy, that's exactly what you want. Tip: Use tweezers! (If you though applying them was the time-consuming part, this trumps that easily. This took forever -- You can see all of the teeny tiny pieces of stickers in the back and only 5 came off in one full piece.)

8. Use sandpaper to distress the edges and finish. This is optional but I think it made all the difference.

9. If the colors are too bright for you (they were for me), add a coat of sepia decoupage finish. It dulls the colors and "dirties" it up just right.

Here it is on display in my craft room with other red, white, and blue goodness.

Like what you see? Consider following Spool and Spoon via Google Friend Connect or by email.

I'm linking to:

12 comments:

  1. This is genius! I would have never thought to use the cutting board and star stickers. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cutting board was convenient, cheap, and required a lot less sanding than unfinished wood (let alone no priming)... Easy decision if you ask me.

      Delete
  2. What a great tutorial! Your little patriotic flag is adorable!
    Please come over to StoneGable and join me for TUTORIAL TIPS AND TIDBITS, my weekly linky party. This is so cute and would be a welcomed addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for checking this out! I'm so glad to link up, thanks for the invitation! Your blog is beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Great idea, and very cute and doable.
    Thanks for the tutorial.......
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Doable is an understatement. I hope you try it out! Come back soon for another patriotic project!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a genius you are! This turned out great. I hope you'll link it up to my Patriotic Project Parade!

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the invite! I'll definitely be linking up. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. Love this!! Thanks so much for linking up over at Live Laugh Rowe :) Have a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank YOU for hosting. I'm in love with your clever and gorgeous projects.

      Delete
  6. Love your flag. I bought a wooden flag about the same size, but yours is much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I would have loved to find one that small, but considering that the cutting board was free, I couldn't resist making one.

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...