Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fabric Candy Corn Treat Bags

Ahhh, October! It's beginning to get cooler and the leaves are starting to change. It's time to deck the halls with cobwebs and skeletons and start singing Monster Mash! This weekend I got around to dressing up some fabric treat bags for our favorite kids. Not only are these adorable, they're also super easy and NO-SEW!  Sweet!


Want to find out how to make a set of your own? Read on!

White fabric pouches
1 orange fat quarter
1 yellow fat quarter
Adhesive/fusible webbing
Scissors / Rotary cutter
Cutting mat
Iron & Ironing Board

 I have a ton of these linen jewelry bags laying around from J.Crew so I decided to use 'em up. Just in case I needed a few more, I purchased a set from Pick Your Plum a couple of weeks ago.

There is no need to use Halloween or autumnal patterns. I had some floral and paisley fabrics in my stash in the perfect colors, and that's all that really mattered.

1. Since the bags might not all be the exact same size (mine were not), trace each bag separately to get the block of your first color.

2. Trim the fabric to fit the pouch perfectly. It's important that there is no overhang but also no gaps. You'll want the first piece to be anywhere between a third and a quarter of the total height.

3. Using the first block as a guide, cut out your second color to fit the next portion of your bag. These two pieces should be the exact same size.

5. Cut adhesive webbing to fit directly underneath of where the fabric patches will be applied.

6. If there is any overlay of the two fabrics, add another small sliver of adhesive webbing. You'll thank yourself later when they are completely anchored down.

7. Using whatever setting your webbing requires, iron those babies down. Once they cool, you're done!

Pull the drawstrings and they turn into candy corn. Voila!

Stuff with homemade goodies or store-bought treats and you have the perfect little grab bag for your little munchkins and their classmates or the neighborhood kids.

DISCLAIMER: As much as I adore these bags, I actually hate candy corn. Go figure! Haha.

What do you think? Do you usually hand out candy on it's own or individually bagged treats to go?


If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

9 comments:

  1. You were right, these are adorable! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! What a great idea, and I love that they are a no sew project. Found you at the Flamingo Toes link party. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and simple! Thanks for sharing! I'd love for you to share this and any other crafts at my new linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

    T'onna
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-2-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love all things candy corn related :) I'd love for you to share these at my link party!

    kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I checked Pick Your Plum and didn't find the bags - do you have any ideas where else I might be able to buy some? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I couldn't find an email for you so I hope you'll check back! I found pretty much the exact same bags as the material I used at Save On Crafts: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cottonbags1.html

      Delete
  6. Super cute!! I'm with you, I love decorating with candy corn colors, but I don't like to eat it!!! I'm hosting a new We Share Wednesday Link Party and would love for you to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are adorable! I am your newest follower. :)
    Lisa
    akawest.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...