Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tshirt Yarn Bib Necklace

On a completely unrelated note, Weight Watchers is going very well! Even with falling off of the horse once or twice (or 3 or 4 times), I have lost a little over 10lbs in the past month and a half. Woot woot!

Now that I got to brag a little bit, let's get to the real subject matter: a bib necklace made out of an old tshirt.
2-15inch chains
4 matching jump rings
1 old tshirt
crochet hook

Take your shirt from plain old tee to super awesome yarn by following this tutorial if you didn't already know how. If you're wondering how wide I cut my strips, they were somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick.

Using a large hook, crochet your heart out. There was no rhyme or reason to the shape I made; I just did what I had in my head. Do whatever your skills allow. This can be as detailed or as chunky as you like.

Attach your two lengths of chain with a jump ring on each end

Attach another set of jump rings on each side of the crocheted bib.

Link the jump ring from one end of the chain to one side of the bib and repeat on the other side.

Slip it over your head and it's ready to wear!

I love how chunky and dramatic this turned out. The weight of the tshirt yarn really keeps it flat which I like because I'm not sure that regular yarn would have had the same effect. This is the perfect necklace for Autumn though because it's like half necklace and half scarf! Don't ridicule me for saying that :-p

Um and you know what else is crazy? I was at J.Crew today *um the Mr. and I are addicted to anything J.Crew* and I saw this necklace, look familiar??
OGJM Hyacinth Necklace photo courtesy of J.Crew

I just can't believe the coincidence. I must have seen it out of my periphs in the corner of the store last week and got subconsciously inspired. Nevertheless, it's $70 on clearance and mine was pretty much free. Yeah, I'll take free any day.



Have you ever gathered inspiration without realizing it until later? I feel like such a thief haha. 

If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

7 comments:

  1. Now that's a knock-off! At first I didn't even see the difference! Cool idea =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Awesome knock-off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job. I really like this. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really neat idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! I have done several tshirt yarn projects, but haven't ventured into jewelry yet ;) love this - I'd love for you to post this project on my new link party! Impatiently Crafted Sundays ;) http://impatientlycrafty.com/2012/10/13/craft-link-up-impatiently-crafted-sundays/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job on this necklace. And by the way great job on Weight Watchers, what restraint! The longest I am able to stay on a diet is to breakfast. I would love to have you visit hoopsbyhand.com Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...