Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pretzel Crusted Salmon with Creamy Dijon Sauce

People are always using crushed potato chips and saltines as a breadcrumb alternative, but what about their lonesome cousin, the pretzel? Well now they have a chance to shine as well. I present to you, Pretzel Crusted Salmon! The salty crunch lends a great contrast to the tender, flaky flesh of the salmon. The only way I could think to improve upon this coupling was adding a homemade dijon mustard sauce. Enjoy!


Ingredients: (for two 6-ounce portions)
2 salmon filets
1 cup of  pretzels, chopped
Seasoned flour: 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, pinch of fresh cracked pepper
Egg wash: 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk

For the sauce:
1 green onion, sliced in tiny pieces
1.5 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard


Instructions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400

2. Set up your dipping station as shown below. As you can see, I used disposable plates because it makes clean-up that much easier.

3. Place filets on a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) and put into oven

4. While salmon is cooking, start by melting the butter and adding the green onion over low heat. Add the cream cheese and stir until completely melted. Whisk in milk and dijon mustard. Keep stirring until fully combined.

5. Remove salmon from oven once cooked through (about 10-12 minutes) and serve over a side of baby asparagus. Spoon the sauce over the warm filet and you've got one heck of a presentation piece.



If you're mouth is watering, you should consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect for other recipes and projects that are sure to tickle your fancy. Also, did you know we have a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss a beat. 

I'm linking to:

7 comments:

  1. What a unique idea! I'd never have thought to use pretzels for anything like that =) Maybe that's a German thing, we usually just eat Brezel for Vesper (a snack-type of meal)! Maybe we should get more creative like you Americans and include it in other meals ;-) xo Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anja... you have NO idea how much I like to play around with snack foods. Mind you, I'm totally grossed out by any recipe that requires Doritos or Fritos, so I won't be venturing too far from the norm.

      Vesper sounds like my kind of meal. What I wouldn't give to have a "snack-type" meal here in the US. :)

      Delete
  2. That looks so delicious! Found you on the Coast to Coast blog map. Fellow PA blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! I love when other locals find me :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this sounds amazing!! I am loving your blog! I am a new follower and would LOVE for you to join my blog as well! :)

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. We love salmon but haven't done a pretzel crusted version yet (we use panko alot). I would love it if you would share this on Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/08/tout-it-tuesday-19.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...