Saturday, March 24, 2012

Book Page Banner

Our bedroom is bare. For one, it's huge (come on... is a sitting room in a bedroom really necessary??) and two, no one sees it except us. The latter is probably the biggest reason we haven't gotten around to decorating it, as we've primarily focused on the main floor where all of our visitors hang out. I've finally tackled the first DIY project for the room -- art for above our headboard.

I spent more time than necessary scoping out great options:
1: Monogram via; 2: Frames on a Curtain Rod via; 3: Song Lyrics on Canvas via; 4: Sweet Nothings on Wooden Planks via; 5: DIY Lighted Headboard via; 6: Toilet Paper Roll Art via

I ended up choosing none of the above because the Mr and I have a fear of something large falling off the wall and onto us while we're in bed... irrational or not, it could still happen and we are not taking the chance haha. What I did choose was something similar to this, which I found on the oh so awesome WeddingChicks.com site.

I love the handmade vintage look, but the simplicity of it is what really drew me in. As you can guess, this was a really easy project, but it makes quite an impact.


Materials:
  • An old book -- I got one from the dollar store
  • A length of twine/rope/yarn
  • 3 feet of lace ribbon, cut in half
  • Clothespins
  • Hot glue, optional

Tools:
  • Rotary cutter or exacto knife
  • Printer, with ink of course
  • Ruler
  • Hot glue gun, optional

Directions:
  1. Start by cutting one page from the book using the rotary cutter or exacto knife, getting as close to the binding as possible 
  2. Measure this sheet and input the page size into MS Word (or the program of your choice)
  3. Decide what you want your banner to say... for example love, dream, happy, amor, goodnight, bedtime, etc.
  4. Experiment with different fonts and sizes until you are happy with the result (be sure that only one letter appears on each page)
  5. Cut the correct amount of pages from the book so that you will have enough to spell out the word you chose
  6. Load the cut book pages into your printer and print
  7. Lay the pages on a flat surface to spell out your word
  8. Cut a piece of twine/rope/string/yarn/etc that is about 1 1/2 times the length of your word
  9. Fold the string in half and use a clothespin to attach the middle letter to the string
  10. Working out on each side, attach the letters in equal increments
    • Optional: Once you've attached the letters, go back with a dab of hot glue to affix the pages permanently to the clothespins
  11. Use a piece of lace ribbon on each side to tie a bow to the ends of the string
  12. Hang and enjoy



5 comments:

  1. hi i am a new follower! i love your blog i whould love for you to check out mine at oneofakind-kikistok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following!! I hope I can give you some inspiring projects to try for yourself :)

      Delete
  2. This is going in my bedroom tonight! How easy and so pretty!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the easiest banner ever. I'd love to see what word you end up using. The possibilities are endless! Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  3. I love love LOVE this! Just like you I'm also afraid something heavy will fall on my head at night, but this is so cute and beautifull! Thank you for sharing! I am going to pin this right now and starting the project tomorrow (since it is 23.40 here)!
    I think I'm going to make a few of these with some sweet words or a sweet saying :) thank you again! I finally found something that I love and trust above my bed :p haha...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...