Sunday, February 9, 2014

T-Shirt Upcycle - Braided Infinity Scarf

We're in the midst of yet another snowstorm. Welp, it's as good a time as any for a new scarf. Might as well make it a colorful and bright infinity scarf to cheer up those winter blues. Am I right, or am I right? 


Best part? This knotted cowl is made out of upcycled t-shirts Heck yes. Thrifty and fabulous. 

These shirts were on sale for $2 at A.C. Moore last week! I purposely went XL so I could have a bit of extra fabric to work with but you can make a scarf with any size. For a single loop, I'd actually recommend a small or medium.


This isn't my first experience using t-shirts to create a scarf. Remember the twisted colorblock infinity scarf? That scarf required two shirts whereas this scarf will require three. I think it's best to use a monochromatic color combo but do what suits you!

1. First, follow steps one through three as outlined here. Then, fold in half lengthwise (like a hot dog) with the right sides together. Pin the long side closed (leaving both ends open). Sew closed. Flip right side out.
Do this to all three shirts.

2. Next, gather all three pieces together about two inches from the top. Tie together with a rubberband or hair tie. 


3. Loosely braid the pieces together, stopping about 2 or 3 inches from the end.


4. Undo the rubberband and begin pinning the ends together. To ensure a continuous loop, pin the two same color ends together as shown below. This will require a bit of effort, but it should come together fairly easily.


When you're all done pinning, you'll have a product that looks like this:


5. Take your time and sew each piece together with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. It might be extra work but I'd recommend switching needle and bobbin threads for each color if possible. The seams won't be nearly as noticeable. 

The finished scarf will look like this:


Now, rock your scarf with pride. This scarf is actually quite long (hits at the bust) so I doubled it up into a cowl. Thank goodness that jersey has some stretch! I find this to be the perfect scarf length for me because I'm a bit chesty and don't like to add more to that region.


I'm adoring the neon and berry combo. It coordinates with my dress coat in a lovely way, reflects warmth upon my porcelain skin, and brightens up the terribly grey skies.


What is your favorite way to upcycle an average tee? I need more ideas!

I'm linking to:

7 comments:

  1. Love this! That color combo is adorable. I have been wearing scarfs non stop lately. It is way too cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine!! So true -- it's been below freezing for about three weeks straight and we are knee-deep in snow as I write this. Perfect timing for adding another scarf to my wardrobe haha.

      Delete
  2. What a great look! I can sew, but don't think I'd ever get around to actually doing this. I'm pinning it anyways :)

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, you're such a doll! Thanks for sharing it :) Hopefully, you'll get around to making one -- you'd look great with it!

      Delete
  3. I really love the colors you chose for this scarf! It pops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! It looks so pretty with all the colors that frame your face. I just LOVE it! : )


    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea – braided infinity scarf from a shirt. Thank you for the tutorial. The color of your scarf is so beautiful! It is so perfect for a gift to your friends, surely; they will love it too. :) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...