Monday, February 3, 2014

Easy Carved Wood Art - DIY Gift Idea

If you follow me on Pinterest, you know that I can't get enough of Valentine's Day lately. Despite my fervor for all things pink and red, I've been meaning to incorporate some more design conscious items into our holiday decor. How about a rustic and neutral piece of Valentine art? 


This mock wood carving would be an incredible Valentine's Day gift for your special someone but also for the lovey-dovey newlyweds in your life.



What you need:
Frame
Cardstock
Cutting Mat
Exacto Knife
Wood Grain Embossing Folder
Embossing Machine (I use a Big Shot)

Instructions:
First, decide what size frame you'll be using; select a piece of heavy cardstock in a coordinating size. Tape the paper to a self-healing cutting mat and cut out the initials with the exacto knife. I used the rule of threes in deciding where to place the letters.
You could do this step with a Silhouette BUT I really think it's better to do this in a ragged, rough kind of way. The cutouts should resemble the rough bark carvings of our youth (or 2 years ago if you're Joe and I haha).  

Position your paper in the embossing folder so that it fits neatly inside

Run the embossing folder through the machine and pull out your little work of art on the other end!

Tape a piece of scrap paper to the backside (behind the cutout). For a more modern look, use a neon color, or, if you're going for something a little more traditional, use a dark background.

Once it's framed, it really is quite darling with its simplicity and little imperfections.

I tucked it into a charming vignette in our bay window

It really is sweet sweet sweet when paired with one of my favorite photos from our wedding...

Then again, it holds its own just fine.



Check back tomorrow because I'll be hosting a GIVEAWAY that will include that very same embossing folder!


I'm linking to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...