Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pinspiration: Gilded Glass Vases

I've been trying to take a break from Pinterest lately. WHATTTT?! I know, it's crazy. But, I'm trying to practice some self-control. As much as I love it, I go a bit pin crazy at times. I can't even remember the last time I actually created something from the bountiful inspiration. That was, until this weekend! I made these pretty vases from recycled Starbucks glass bottles:



All thanks to Pinterest and Style Me Pretty for supplying me with an image that made quite the impression. I have been having such a love affair with gold lately and these just furthered my infatuation.

My Inspiration!

Aren't the gorgeous?? Unfortunately, there was no tutorial or anything, but come on, we can do this! To me, it looked like gold metallic paint painted on simple glass jars. Easy enough, but I wasn't really in the mood for a paint project. So, what to do? And that's when it came to me. Gold leaf! Yes please.

1. Gather some simple glass jars. I thought the jars in the inspiration photo looked eerily similar to Starbucks frappuccino bottles. Luckily for me, I have quite an addiction to coffee so upcycling a few of these was an absolute delight!

2. Thoroughly clean your bottles and remove the labels. The Starbucks labels are stuck on with an adhesive, so use a spritz of Goo Gone or in my case, some Grandma's Secret Goo Remover. Have you used this stuff before?? It's practically magic!

3. Rip a small hole in a coffee filter and wrap it around the neck of the bottle with a rubber band to keep it in place. Tape off the mouth of the bottle with some painters tape. Each bottle can AND SHOULD be slightly different... it's more organic that way (so don't fret about being "perfect").

4. In a well-ventilated area, spray a light coat of spray adhesive onto the exposed bottoms/sides.

5. Start applying your gold leaf in small pieces by sticking it to the adhesive and pulling off any extras. Don't worry if it doesn't look absolutely perfect because, again, it's not supposed to.

6. Using a very soft bristled paint brush rub around the leaf in small circles which will both flatten the piece but also break off any tiny extras. I used a small about of oil on a paper towel to cover it as well.

Now, put some favorite blossoms in your new golden gilded glass vases and enjoy!

Eeeee! I love how they turned out.

The vases are super glam which is not our normal go-to style but I love the bit of sparkle they add to our normally cottage-like decor.

I had quite the debate with me, myself and I as to where to put the vases because I just heart them so much. I finally decided on our entertainment-center-turned-hutch because they fit in perfectly with the modern and eclectic collection of items who call it home (think: vintage salt/pepper shakers, oversized fabric flowers, a wine rack, a pig with wings, antique pitchers, family photos, corks galore, subway art, etc.)

My question to you -- have you ever used gold leaf before? I have A TON left over and need some more ideas on what to use it for. Inspire me!

If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 


I'm linking to:

5 comments:

  1. Wow lovely look Jess, just looove metallics, and the gold siut the bottles so Well. Thank you for beautiful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! This is what I had in mind for my office. Gotta crank up that coffee now! =)

    PS Caught you red-handed.... your pinterest addiction is out of control ;-) (Mine too, by the way, ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Glad I'm following! This would go beautifully in my Teal/Black/Gold bathroom!

    patternedlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great and easy way to add a little shimmer to your big day! What an idea for a DIY centerpiece.

    Marlene Detierro (Terry Costa Prom Dresses)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...