Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Crocheted Button Garland

The tenth of The 25 Projects of Christmas is the perfect combo of two of my favorite crafty things -- vintage buttons & crochet! Hooray for a super easy and incredibly unique crocheted button garland. 

This garland adds not only interest but also a ton of sentiment to our tree. All of the buttons used were from my Nanny's vintage button collection. She's also the one who taught me how to crochet so it's a double reminder of how much I love her and wish she (and my Pop-pop) could be with us for the holidays.  Read on for the full tutorial!
An assortment of random buttons in the color scheme of your choice (I used a little over 100 and my chain is around 23 feet))
Yarn of your choice (can’t be too thick/fuzzy but needs to be durable)
An appropriate sized crochet hook (dependent upon the yarn you choose)


  1. Thread all of the buttons onto the ball of yarn. (This can be a bit of a time buster but taping the end first will save a ton of time in the end)
  2. Crochet a number of continuous chain stitches for about one foot
  3. Pull up one button from the ball and stitch around it to keep it in place
  4. Crochet a 1-2” chain (about 5-10 stitches) immediately following the button
  5. Pull up another button and stitch around it
  6. Crochet another 5-10 stitches
  7. Repeat, repeat, repeat until you've used all of the buttons or reached the end of the yarn. 
Some close ups --


And our entire tree in all of it's glory.
I love that our tree is perfectly imperfect. It's like Christmas threw up on our tree. Lots of red, white, and green with snowflakes, nutcrackers, and random ornaments. Just the way I like it.
I'm linking to:

1 comment:

  1. Wowza, now that is what I call a tree - mine will look like its little stepsister! ;-) I have similar snowflake ornaments, too!
    The button idea is cute (as most button ideas are - what happened that made buttons so cute?) and I might just make something like that.

    By the way, your carpet looks really comfy! I bet Quinn loves it just as much as Coca loves ours ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...