Sunday, June 29, 2014

DIY Stained Glass Votives & Decorative Tealights

I signed up for Craftaholics Anonymous' Handmade Gift Exchange and I'm hopeful that this will be the time where my partner reciprocates... fingers crossed! My partner lives in Northern California and seems to like many of the things I do. I decided to make something and gift something that I myself would enjoy receiving. 

These stained glass votives would be right at home on our patio so I'm hoping my partner loves them!


The best part? These are upcycled baby food jars!

The only problem with upcycling anything is that you have to clean it up first. I removed the labels but the glue and paper residue wouldn't budge. Water and soap made no impact no matter how hard I scrubbed.
I don't know why it took so long for me to grab my trusty Grandma's Secret Goo Remover... it worked like a charm!


Once the jars were ready, I decorated them with a few Martha Stewart Paintable Clings (the same ones I used with the Springtime Mason Jar Photo Holder).




Since these were a gift, I thought it would be nice to jazz up the tealights before I put them in.

Have you seen this trick before? Washi Tape + Tealights = Instant Cuteness.


I ripped off a length of washi tape and stuck one end to my desk and wrapped the other end around the metal tealight holder until the entire thing was covered.


The washi tape is slightly wider than the metal holder. No worries! Fold the top portion over the top of the holder and voila - finished edge!


Pop in the candles and call it a day. Even without votive holders, these would be a nice tabletop accompaniment.


To keep the candles in place within the votive holder (during shipping and use), I stuck a small adhesive tab on the bottom of each before placing them within the jars.


Now, from whichever side is viewed, the votive looks decorative and colorful.


Seriously, aren't these just darling?


I shipped these little babies out with a bunch of felting tools and colorful wool roving. Let's hope she's just as enamored by these as I am!

I'm linking to:

6 comments:

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...