Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Try Something New: White Truffle Oil

One of my favorite accent condiments is white truffle infused olive oil. I had never seen it at any of our local grocers but when browsing the aisles of HomeGoods a couple of weeks ago, I came across a perfectly sized (and priced) bottle. Yeah, it jumped into my basket faster than I could blink. 



You see, our first exposure to truffle anything was at our all-time favorite restaurant in historic Skippack village. The Mr. had truffle mayonnaise on some sort of steak and he went nuts for it and insisted I try. I must admit, it was delish. Another talented chef dressed up the all-American classic of french fries with a drizzle of truffle oil and it was out of this world. That tends to be what I do most, but below are a few ideas for how you can bring it into your family's meals.

Spritzed on baked brie with sauteed mushrooms
Drizzled over grilled asparagus
Mixed in with warm garlic mashed potatoes 
Drizzled over a fresh pizza
Spritzed over salted fried eggs
Tossed over popcorn with grated Parmesan
Drizzled over scallops, or any seafood for that matter (lobster, anyone?!)
Spritzed over a bowl of soup or pasta

Some other ideas:
39 White Truffle and Pasta Recipes
88 Assorted White Truffle Recipes

Two of the most important things to keep in mind when using truffle oil: 
1. Buy NATURAL truffle infused olive oil (otherwise, you're just purchasing a bottle of chemicals)
2. This is a finishing touch so NEVER cook with it. As with any high quality oil, it will not cook well.

If you're intrigued, consider adding a bit of white truffle oil to your arsenal!

I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 
I'm linking to:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Usually I'm not a big fan of truffles (only the chocolate ones *g*) but in this form it probably isn't too much flavor and good for starters like me!
    xo
    (PS You are a way better cook than I am - I never sautee things! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...