Friday, November 30, 2012

Star of Bethlehem Wreath

Did you catch yesterday's project? As I mentioned, I didn't end up using the button star as an ornament. Rather, it found a home on something that would get a little more exposure. That brings us to the twelfth project of The 25 Projects of Christmas - a Star of Bethlehem Wreath. 


Not only does it remind you of what Christmas is really about without being too overt, but it also brings just the right rustic touch to our front door. This wreath is easy on the eyes, easy on the wallet, and very easy to make as well.

So how did I do it?
Well, first thing's first, gather all of those left over wire stars (or make some more using this tutorial). Instead of covering them all with buttons I wrapped them in various colors of yarn.
Then dry-brush a bit of white paint on a plain grapevine wreath to give it the look of frost.
While the paint is still wet, sprinkle on some fine glitter.
Once everything is dry, hot glue your stars in whatever pattern you want with one "special" star (the Star of Bethlehem... DUH) set apart from the rest.

If you want, attach a greeting to your wreath. I made a super duper cute Merry Christmas banner. I used  my handy dandy alphabet stamp collections, some Linen Tape (from The Plaid Barn) and metallic twine (from The Twinery). You can use the instructions below!

The wreath turned out exactly as I wanted even though I made a bajillion extra stars. I had considered overlapping them but it just looked too messy. It's cottagey, rustic, crafty and even fun.. Nevertheless, it's simplistic and a perfect representation of our attempt to make Christmas a little less about the excess. 

What do you think?



BTW I flippin love linen tape. I've been brainstorming some other uses for it and I can't wait to bring them into reality. It's kind of like washi tape, but it's made fabric and it has a super gummy/tacky side so it sticks to just about anything. Stamping on it was a dream and that was definitely the finishing touch the wreath needed.  Have you used it before? If so, I want to know what kind of projects you've made. Please share :)
If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 

I'm linking to:

4 comments:

  1. Never heard of this linen tape, but it looks great! I was thinking about doing some kind of banner for the giant wooden box that houses the advent calendar I'm making, but I guess I'll have to resort to plain paper =( Great use for the button star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! You really have an amazing blog!!! So wonderful projects, love them all and your style already :-) have a happy day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this wreath! I need to get me some linen tape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! love this wreath!! my favourite I've seen this year so far!!

    Pinned it!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...