Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Skinny Caprese Salad

It's no secret that I heart Italian food. Be it fancy wines, rich tiramisu, crispy pizza, hearty pasta, fizzy prosecco, or refreshing gelato, I could have it all. My favorite combo by far is basil, tomato and mozzarella... great in a sandwich, topping a pizza (yum yum yum), or all by its lonesome as a salad.

my homemade caprese salad with red wine vinaigrette 

Unfortunately, the average Caprese Salad has over 300 calories!!! It seems like a crime to even call it a salad when you see that high of a number. I have been meaning to come up with a low fat version so I could enjoy them guilt free and today was the day. Yesterday I found some fresh tomatoes and basil at the farmer's market so it was as good a time as any to cook one up... Enter in, the Skinny Caprese Salad


100 Calorie Caprese Salad (2 servings)

Ingredients:
1 & 1/4 cups of Cherry Tomatoes (halved) - 35 calories

1/2 cup of Mozzarella Pearlini - 100 calories
1 clove of Garlic (minced) - 4 calories
1 & 1/2 teaspoons of EVOO - 60 calories
10 Basil Leaves - 2 calories
Optional -- Salt & Cracked Pepper

Directions:
1. Combine the halved cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, minced garlic, and olive oil
2. Slice the basil leaves into ribbons and toss with the rest of the salad
3. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...