Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Kibble Container with Mason Jar Scoop


Ever since Quinn came into our lives two months ago, I've been scouring HomeGoods for a rustic dog food container with no luck. Is it just me or do they only make dog products in either bone or paw print patterns?  I finally came across a huge glass apothecary jar at A.C. Moore and with a 40% off coupon, I decided to give it a chance.


The only problem was that a plain cookie jar was not exactly what I had in mind. I really wanted something with more character so I grabbed my Krylon Looking Glass spray paint and went crazy. You can see my Mercury Glass Tutorial here.


After that part of the project was finished, I spelled out "KIBBLE" with distressed rub-on letters. Since rubons usually only contain one version of each letter, having two cloned Bs next to each other looked a bit silly.


To eliminate this, I went in and scratched away random spots on each of the Bs. They went from identical twins to close cousins and I'm completely on board with that. 


I absolutely love how it turned out. The mason jar is no prop either, it's the new measuring scoop! Ingenious, I know. I left the metal rim on so I wouldn't have to worry about the glass chipping if I accidentally smacked the jar against the wall of the container. 

After all was said and done, I realized that the container was too big for the counter but sat too low for the floor. I remembered a great wooden plant stand that I found on clearance at Jo-Ann Fabrics and I knew it was exactly what I needed. To marry the two pieces together in one style, I stained the stand with Behr Premium in Slate. Doesn't it look like the most perfect weathered wood ever?!

I'm really loving this project, but what do YOU think? It's a simple way to make ugly clutter transform into fabulous decor and who doesn't love that?


If you like what you see and don't want to miss other fun projects, consider following Spool and Spoon via email or Google Friend Connect. 


I'm linking to:

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love it. The name on the jar is too cute. I had to get creative with my cat food, because he kept opening the bags. Woke up one morning and my cat and dog both a huge feast in my kitchen floor!!! LOL

    Your newest follower from Nifty Thrifty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's happened to us too many times! What's funny is that we found that our sweet little cat is generally the culprit. Glad you like this and that you are Following!!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...